Region-wise sales trend in Maharashtra, 2022
The top 10 cities contribute to 74% of all EV sales in the state. Pune and Pimpri Chinchwad Urban region has the highest EV sales with 31%, followed by Mumbai with its Urban Agglomeration cities of Thane, Vasai, Kalyan, Borivali, Navi Mumbai (Vashi), and Panvel accounting for 24% of EV sales in the state.
Maharashtra sold a total of 87,719 electric vehicles from Jan 2022 – Sep 2022, of which
- High-Speed e-2Ws account for 85% of unit sales
- Followed by e-4Ws with 9% and,
- e-3W with 5% for both passenger and cargo categories.
EV sales are concentrated majorly on the eastern side of Maharashtra, and on the western side, Nagpur city made the highest EV sales with a 9% share.
Fuel-wise sales trend in Maharashtra, 2022
Two-wheeler sales in Maharashtra | Jan 2022 to Sep 2022
- Maharashtra recorded an avg of 8,300 e-2W unit sales per month during Jan-Sep 2022.
- The state shows increasing penetration of EVs in the 2W market, i.e. from 4% of total 2W sales in Jan 2022 to 9% of total 2W sales in Sep 2022. From Jan to Sep 2022, for every 100 2Ws sold in the state, 7 were electric.
- Pune with 14,555 units (19%) and Pimpri Chinchwad with 9,568 units (13%) show the highest sales in the state for e-2Ws in the time period.
Four-wheeler sales in Maharashtra | Jan 2022 to Sep 2022
- Maharashtra’s e-4W market recorded an average of 1,000 electric cars per month and an EV penetration of 3% for Jan-Sep 2022. There is also a demand for mild-hybrid vehicles.
- Mumbai with 2,998 units (35%), followed by Pune with 1,417 (17%), and Pimpri Chinchwad with 746 units (9%) show the highest sales in e-4W for the time period.
Three-wheeler Passenger sales in Maharashtra | Jan 2022 to Sep 2022
- Maharashtra’s 3W market is highly dominated by CNG, with a growing demand for e-3Ws. For the Passenger category, an average of 300 e-3Ws are sold every month, with an EV penetration rate of 8%.
- The state recorded a total sales of 2515 units for the e-3W passenger category from Jan to Sep 2022, dominated by the low-speed L3M category with 88% share, while the high-speed L5M vehicles recorded a 12% share.
- Nagpur city recorded the lion’s share of sales (77%) in the category with 1944 units.
Three-wheeler Cargo sales in Maharashtra | Jan 2022 to Sep 2022
- CNG and Diesel vehicles dominate the cargo 3W market in Maharashtra, with EVs catching up. From Jan to Sep 2022, 1683 units of e-3W cargo vehicles were sold with 20% penetration. Among EVs, the Low-speed L3N vehicles had a share of 62%, and high-speed L5N had a 38% share.
- Mumbai, Pune and Pimpri Chinchwad recorded the highest sales of L5N category e-3W with 135, 104 and 104 units, respectively.
Top EV Players in Maharashtra
Subscribe today for free and stay on top of latest developments in EV domain.