India’s Electric Vehicle market is evolving. From its humble beginning with mass market e-rickshaws, two wheelers and economic e-cars, India saw the launch of three premium SUVs last year. Though it might be a couple of years before Tesla makes it to India, other luxury electric SUVs have started to make their presence felt in the country. After the recent launch of Mercedes-Benz EQC, Jaguar looks set to launch its electric SUV I-Pace in India. Yes, the 2019 World Car design of the Year and 2019 World Green Car award winning model is coming to Indian roads, as evident by Jaguar recently adding the details of the car to its India website. The high performance beast with elegant design and next generation features is said to be a credible rival to Tesla’s premium EV dominance.
I-PACE is propelled by two permanent magnet synchronous electric motors with near perfect weight distribution. Similar to the technology found in the I-TYPE Formula E racing car, these motors generate 294 kW of peak power and 696 Nm of max torque allowing the car to reach 100 km/h in 4.8 s. The car’s top speed is rated at 200km/h.
Battery, Range and Charging
I-PACE’s 90 kWh battery is made up of high energy density lithium-ion pouch cells. Its design and state-of-the-art thermal management system supports longevity and periods of sustained maximum power.
The driving range of the car is nearly 480 km on a single charge. But interestingly, the carmakers have provided a dynamic range calculator to figure out driving range based on adjustable parameters like driving profile, driving environment and outdoor temperature.
I-PACE comes with a Mode 3 cable that connects to AC public charging points. A 50 kW DC charger can deliver up to 63 km of range in 15 minutes and upto 270 km of range per hour. I-PACE is equipped to accept up to a 100 kW DC charge rate and follows CCS charging protocol.
The list of other Smart Features that make Jaguar I-Pace the real next generation car is impressive:
– Torque Vectoring by Braking – provides controlled independent braking on the individual inside front and rear wheels to add to the turning forces acting on the car
– Active Air Suspension – reduces the space between the car and the road. Improves aerodynamic performance and range
– Enhanced brake regeneration – I-PACE uses an Enhanced Brake Regeneration system that recuperates almost all braking energy to maximise range
– Adaptive and configurable dynamics – constantly analyses acceleration, steering, throttle and brake pedal activity and the electronically controlled dampers adjust to optimize the suspension settings, providing the optimum balance between comfort, refinement and agility at all times
– Smart Phone Pack – to easily interact with smartphone on I-PACE’s Touchscreen through Android Auto and Apple CarPlay
– Navigation with real-time traffic updates, Remote to discover key information, Secure tracker to track lost/stolen vehicle, and the list goes on…
Source: Jaguar India website
About the author: Nisarg Suthar is a Renewable Energy enthusiast associated with various areas of work in Energy and Utility domain around Grid Modernization, Electric Vehicles, EV Charging, Distribution Automation etc. He is an MBA in Power Management from NPTI currently working as a Business Analyst for TCS.
Subscribe today for free and stay on top of latest developments in EV domain.