3 Wheeler sales across categories – FY 2021-22
– During FY 21-22 – 3,84,215 units of 3 Wheelers were sold in India, including Cargo and Passenger categories.
– Electric powertrain dominates the market with 47% market share and 1,79,725 units sold during FY21-22. In FY 20-21, electric powertrain had a 39% market share.
– CNG powertrain comes next with a 28% market share in FY21-22 (up from 15% market share in FY20-21) and compounded monthly growth rate of 11.54% over the period. Diesel powertrain obtained a market share of 21% (down from 40% market share in FY20-21), and the demand for diesel 3Ws witnessed a decrease because of strict emission norms and high fuel prices.
– Within electric powertrain (47%), the Low-speed L3 category e-3W made up 44% of total sales with a compounded monthly growth rate of 10.26%. High-speed L5 category e-3W account 3% share, but the category recorded the highest monthly growth rate of 18.33% during FY 21-22.
Break up of electric 3W sales – FY 2021-22
– There are two variants in the electric 3-wheeler segment in India, Low-speed e-cart/e-rickshaw or L3N/L3M category vehicle and the High-speed L5N/L5M category vehicle. These variants differ in dimensions, carrying capacity, motor specifications and range.
– Electric 3-Wheeler sales in India are dominated by Low speed L3M category passenger vehicles with 1,54,041 units sold during FY 21-22, i.e. 86% of all e3W sold during this period, followed by L3N category cargo vehicles with 8% share of the pie.
– L5 category 3Wheeler sales are low with 4% and 2% share for the cargo and passenger segment, respectively. Still, the powertrain is gaining momentum since it is a good alternative to its gas-guzzling rivals. The growth in this segment is aided by e-commerce giants and other 3PL players, which have committed to sustainable last-mile logistics.
Top-selling electric 3W OEMs during FY 2021-22
– Electric 3 Wheeler sales in India account for 41% of all EVs sold during FY 21-22 (excluding low- speed electric 2Ws).
– For FY 21-22, the L3 category 3 Wheeler sales increased by 94% compared to FY 20-21. L5 category recorded 5 fold jump in sales in FY 21-22 over last FY.
– The electric 3 Wheeler market in India is highly fragmented and has approximately 300 OEMs for the L3 category and 67 OEMs for the L5 category, as seen on the Vahan portal.
– The top 10 OEM manufacturers in the L3 category contribute only 43% of the total sales, whereas the top 6 OEMs in the L5 category contribute 78% market share.
Disclaimer: Data used for analysis is a cumulative sum of statistics from the Vahan portal (1429 out of 1613 RTOs across 33 out of 37 state/UTs) and Telangana Transport portal. Petrol, LPG and Petrol/LPG powertrain for 3Wheelers are not included in the analysis.
This analysis was first published in EVreporter May 2022 Magazine that can be accessed here.
Subscribe today for free and stay on top of latest developments in EV domain.