On 19th September 2019, TATA Motors introduced its powertrain technology for Electric Vehicles – Ziptron. The technology has been indigenously developed and will be used to build the company’s future electric vehicles. A common base technology helps the automakers leverage economies of scale and make the end products more affordable. Ziptron has been designed specifically for Indian climate and driving conditions. The company claims to have tested the technology across 1 million km. The first EV to be powered by this technology will be launched by TATA Motors in Q4 (Jan-Mar) of the financial year 2019-20, ie. Nexon EV in the price range of Rs. 15-17 Lakh
Following are the characteristics of Ziptron technology:
1. Electric Motor – 300V, permanent magnet synchronous AC motor. Highly efficient and can provide superior performance on demand. For comparison, TATA Motor’s only currently available EV Tigor has a 72V AC induction-type motor.
2. Single Ratio Transmission
3. Dedicated cooling circuit for the powertrain to avoid overheating that can downgrade the EV’s performance
4. Battery Pack – Liquid Cooled Battery pack comprising of advanced lithium-ion cells. To be encased in an IP 67 rated enclosure providing dust and water resistance. [IP 67 stands for Ingress Protection Rating Standard 67 that means – ‘Dust Tight and protected against immersion for 30 minutes at depths 150mm – 1000mm’]. To come with a warranty period of 8 years.
5. Range – Minimum 250 km. Nexon EV is expected to have a range of about 300 km.
6. Fast Charging capability
7. Regenerative Braking to charge the battery on the go
8. Drive Modes to provide the driver option to prioritise between high performance and a long range
9. Advanced telematics to monitor car performance
Though exact specifications of the technology are still under wraps, we hope to see the first TATA EV to use the Ziptron tech launch in early 2020. For more information on EV specific parameters of an electric car, visit our Guide to Electric Car Specifications.
About Tata Motors
Tata Motors Limited (NYSE: TTM; BSE: 500570 and 570001; NSE: TATAMOTORS and TATAMTRDVR), a USD 44 billion organization, is a leading global automobile manufacturer. Part of the USD 110 billion Tata group, Tata Motors has operations in India, the UK, South Korea, Thailand, South Africa, and Indonesia, including Jaguar Land Rover in the UK and Tata Daewoo in South Korea.